Saturday, September 12, 2009

Rewinding


Well, I was looking through some of my pictures from this summer and realized that I never posted about some of the great events that took place. So, why not?


It was a wonderful summer, full of friends and doing the things I love. I traveled to see many of my beloved friends. First was a trip to Tacoma. I got to spend five days with Mardie. I got her all to myself as Jeremy flew home to the East coast for a short vacation. We had a blast making journals, sailing and creating a variety of earrings at The Bead Factory off six ave. Then I spent the rest of the week with Katy and James. Katy and I romped around the beach front searching for the best pieces of drift wood. My favorites were the snarled pieces that were worn smooth by the salty waves. We ate meals together complete with the extra fiber of snails and slugs and we mostly just enjoyed the every day aspect of life together such a debriefing about our days or processing through different situations that would arise. While Katy was at work I would walk down the street and spend the day with Nora and Kathy. We baked cookies while Nora napped and all piled into the car for a trip to the local art store. At the end of my time we drove an hour into the beautiful country side to celebrate Marta and Eudis who got married to the symphony of clapping thunder. I love doing life with these three ladies. It was hard to say our goodbyes at the end.






Next was Boston where I visited Abby and Tim for four days. It was the perfect vacation with them as we got to explore the green spaces of Boston together. One day Tim and I went and read in the park the next Abby and I rode our bikes along the Emerald necklace and then together we went to explore the outdoor farmers markets down the street. Being able to slip in and out of someones life is so comforting. Knowing that distance and time doesn't separate us but that the bonds are stronger than either. The first night I was there I sat in their arm chair and watched Abby mix her ingredients for pizza dough. Such joy was raising in my heart at being in the same room, of sharing space so comfortably together. What a luxury and gift to be able to feel this with all of my closet friends. They are my home. They are my resting place.




I once again boarded the plane for a short flight to Texas. I stopped over in Atlanta and then flew into Dallas where I spent the night with my friends Denea and Stephen. We stayed up late laughing about our memories of 19 hour truck rides and sleeping three to a queen bed during our time in Mozambique. It was amazing to see that even after two years of just emailing we could pick up where we left off and that the bond is still close. We went through so much together we can't help but real with each other.

The next day I went back to the Dallas airport and boarded a small plane for the 25 minute flight down to the booming town of Waco. This town top sites were a suspension bridge and a park. I got to visit Mike for 7 days and got to explore Waco while he was in class. The highlight of the trip was taking him to Austin for his birthday. We got to visit my uncle Preston. I loved listening to those two talk about business deals in China and how it similar it is to the twisted ways of Nigeria. The next day was hot so we dipped in the natural Barton Springs and met some long time family friends who were close to my grandparents. Needless to say, this was another really difficult goodbye. I decided that I was done saying goodbyes and I wasn't going to do it any more.

Unfortunately I didn't really have that choice. My last trip was down to Pacific Grove to spend six days with my dad and Kathy. I loved every minute of my time with them. While Kathy was at work my dad took me around to local surfing spots and to national parks. The first weekend B came down from San Fransico. Kathy took us on her daily 7 mile walk to downtown Monterrey. I thought my legs were going to quit due to over-use. But the promise of an In and Out burger the next day was motivation for burning so many calories. One of my favorite things to do with my dad is to walk to a near by beach and watch the surfers. This time I also really enjoyed watching my dad play with Abby our chocolate lab mix. My heart almost broke to pieces as I waved goodbye to him at the airport drop off. My heaven is a place where I'm surrounded by all those I love and there are no goodbyes.



Then my summer was almost over. I got to spend the next two days packing and spending time with my mom and Tommy. In between each trip I would get a couple of days to recoup in Beaverton. I loved the routine of being home with my mom and Tommy. My mom would leave fresh pressed juice for me in the fridge next to the blueberries she picked that morning. One of my favorite times was when we went to the Hawthorne district together. We waited for about 30 minutes for our order of to go tater-tots. It was worth the wait! Tommy and I got to do some outdoor adventures together. To celebrate fathers day we piled our mountain bikes into the car and went to Forest park and one day all three of us met to watch the 3-D UP movie.

The two months in America ended really well and I could even say with all honesty that I was looking forward to returning to Nigeria. This obviously was supernatural, divine and greatly appreciated.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the stories and the pics!! Is it me or are the Leet's legs in unison during the handstand? hehe love you Meag

Meag Diamond said...

Of course it's in unison. Don't you guys have this natural telepathic connection? LOVE YOU HEAPS KT!