Thursday, May 06, 2010

Days of Mourning

Nigeria's president died last night and was buried today. I found out from Talia one of my students. After she shook my hand and greeted me good morning she told me the news and asked if we would have school tomorrow. This was the first I had heard about it and so I told her I would email the principal and find out. The nation is in 7 days of mourning, so we wont be having school tomorrow.

Things are quiet around here. Since November the Presidents health has been shaky. For the past six months there had been rumors that he was already dead. I've not been off the compound, but from my room I hear silence and calm.

We had Monday off for Workers day so, this has been a three day week! Short.

I am not sure how the Nigerians feel but I am grateful for the day off. I do know that it will impact this nation and that it affects people some deeply other more superficially like me.

Here is a Time article if you want more accurate facts and details.
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1987442,00.html?xid=rss-topstories

No comments: