Friday, February 25, 2011

Home sweet home

I have found a place! A really cute apartment. This past weekend I spent a lot of time packing up boxes. I think I'm pretty good at it. Everything fits perfectly in a box. Sometimes I will have an odd piece, like a really big plate. I'll just wait for the perfect solution. For this one I had a big laundry basket and I washed my clothes and had folded them and piled them back into the basket. Then on the top there was the perfect amount of space for the plate. And it wont break because it's sandwiched between some layers of clothes and a sturdy surrounding. I love solving the puzzles of packing. During the weekend I went shopping. I needed pretty much everything to start up a house. I needed pots, pans, knives, tupperware, glasses, plates, etc. I had a fun time shopping at T-J Max and Ross. They have some great deals. While shopping at these places I wasn't totally sure I was getting a deal, because pots are expensive. Then I went to Target and realized that they were a deal. I didn't buy any yet. I'll have to go back tomorrow. I was trying to find ones that were cast iron instead of non-stick. My favorite shopping I did of the day was at this health food store called Marlenes. They have bulk agave nectar and olive oil. They also have these beautiful jars you can buy and fill up. Then I loved filling up my individual spice jars, but not too full so I can have fresh dried herbs.

On Monday I drove over to the apartment at 10:00 with Kathy to get the keys. The place was all painted with the four colors that I got to pick out. I was excited to see how it looked, but a little disappointed when I finally saw it. The green was a little to florescent and the paint job was a little sloppy, needing an extra coat. When filling out the inspection paper I noticed a lot of little things that I hadn't before. The front door was really difficult to push closed, there was a hole next to the radiator in the bedroom, the basement door was missing a plane of glass. The great thing is though, the manager is wonderful to work with. Really easy going, understanding and quick. He had listed some other things he planned on fixing and in two days all those things were fixed. Except the paint job but I noticed that with my furniture moved in, everything looks a lot better. Mardie is going to help me hang fabric and pictures tomorrow and then I'm sure it will look even better. My parents are bringing up a couch on Saturday and with a new slip cover I'm sure the green wont be as bright, but will be perfect with some accented pillows.

I will have to go shopping again tomorrow for the smaller things, like dish soap, tp, broom, etc. I'm excited to do this as well. My place doesn't have a dishwasher, which is fine with me. I will have to get a couple more pieces of furniture, like a dinning table . I'm not quiet sure where I will put that. I'm thinking I will have some space in the living room. I'll probably go up to Ikea to get some great lighting and more of the basic essentials, but I also really like shopping at Bargain World, which has started to carry some great organic products.

I've spent the past two mornings sitting in my lotus chair, sipping tea, reading and looking out the windows. I love this room. In this room the green is perfect and cheery. This morning I watched the cars creep by on the snowy roads. I was watching for slippage or spinning tires.

No comments: