Sunday, August 24, 2008

Oh the Joy!


Today marked my first Friday at AISL. The day began with a bell ringing at 7:15 am. My TA Ms. Ossai and I looked at each other and she said, "Does that mean school has begun?" I looked at the clock and said, "No, it's still early." Teachers need to have signed in at 7:15 and school starts at 7:25. I diddled around the classroom checking last minute plans and making sure the everything was in it's place. I kept on hearing the kids say "I'm going home." And I was sad they didn't want to be at school, and debating in my head if I should address those comments. At 7:20 I was walking to the door and it popped open. The principal Mr. Smith was there and said surprised "Oh, you are here!" And then we had a brief confusing conversation about when school was supposed to start. Was it whenever the bell rang or was it at the official time of 7:25? I didn't get a straight answer but he said that he would address it. We all had a laugh and in came the kids carrying rocks they brought from home.

The parents are just as amazing. One mother asked me if I needed anything because she remember how difficult it was moving to Nigeria and not having anything. She started listing off things like a trashcan, towels, etc. And then today she left it by our classroom door, full of things and a note telling me to make a list of the other things that I need. And to give the stuff I didn't need to other teachers. This gesture was so thoughtful and I know it's only the beginning as everyone has told me that the gifts these families give are beyond generous.

We've been studying rocks. So far we've rubbed rocks and collected the dust and washed rocks which changed the colors and made while show up on the basalt rocks. So, a lot of children have brought in different rocks from their homes. The amazing thing is I never even asked them to. They just did. And with so much excitement as well. This so far has been the approach to everything. I'm in teaching heaven!

Last night was Tex Mex night at the GQ. I'm not sure what GQ stands for, but it's connected to the commissary which is a privilege granted to us even though we aren't military. A lot of other from school go and it's a fun social event because you get to met other ex-pats. The food is buffet style and instead of paying at the end they just put it on your bill and you pay when you want as long as it doesn't exceed 500 dollars. The ribs were tender and saucy and the pecan pie seduced for seconds.

Today after school we got a phone call from an artist who wanted to come and show his work. He has been to the other flats and is well known around campus. His name is Landre and is pronounced like laundry. He spread out his work on the floor and began to explain how he did his work. He had three different mediums, boutique, oil painting but not with paintbrushes, and string art. It was absolutely beautiful and I was completely entertained as he told us the story behind the work and the technique. I asked him if he could teach me and he agreed. After some negotiations we agreed that he would teach me for two months how to do boutique and the string art. I am thrilled! I was leaping up and down and yipping! My flatmate and I are started lessons on Wednesday for an hour and twenty minutes. He will buy the supplies and come to our flat after school.

But, it gets even better. For the dyes and paints he gathers plants from the bush. He began to tell me how he breaks the plants apart. I asked him if he could take us there and teach us about these paints. He agreed and said that he had done this before for another teacher. The bush in in another state about two hours from Lagos. So, I've decided to plan an outing for my friends. There is a national park called a tropical forest and he says that the ex-pats stay there. I'm dreaming up a plan for a weekend trip where we can use the school transport and have a beautiful and cultural weekend away.

I bought a piece of his work. It's a colorful painting of three womens walking with fruit bowls balanced on their heads and babies tied to their backs. The view is of them walking away. He is also having it framed for me. My heart is so excited to learn this African art and experience the bush and plants. I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures.

After we arranged for our art lessons we drove over to Tom and Lauri's house. This is the super intendant. They had invited everyone over for drinks and food to celebrate the end of our first week and the beginning of the school year. Everyone I meet I've enjoyed. People here are very unique as most of them have taught all around the world or are very outgoing and unique. Since everyone has been new at one time there is a common kindness and hospitality.

Now, I'm in bed exhausted and with a very happy dancing heart. It's been an extremely productive and positive week.

No comments: