Saturday, August 16, 2008

Ten Days

I have been in Lagos for a ten days. It's gone by really quickly. The first couple of days were schedule orientation. We got information about Nigeria, had a safety meeting with the American Embassy, ate at some amazing restaurants, and shopped in some busy markets.

The flats are very nice and it's been convenient living with my co-workers. It will be interesting to see if this lasts. :) I can see the pool out my window. I've been in twice. One time it was really empty and I felt like I was swimming on the bottom of the pool. I think they were doing some cleaning. My flatmate and I get a long well. She is very sweet and thoughtful.

After the couple of days of orientation my focus was on my classroom. It was piled full of left over stuff, which was convenient because my shipping school supplies that I sent in April didn't come yet. Having tons of stuff was also inconvenient however because I had to spend a couple of days sorting through all of it. I threw away so many papers from last year themes. I felt like I was wasteful but space is really tight. Today was another really long day at school. I've been working so hard to get everything ready. I have to do everything artistic. I'm so visual that I have all the details taken care of. This is okay, but it leads to a lot of work. I'll send some pictures of the classroom. Before and After ones so you can see all of the transformation.

Sad thing, I don't think we have enough broadband for me to get the latest This American Life. I have to ask our tech guys. I have had to ask them for a lot of help here and there.

Speaking of that. It's amazing the turn around here. When I ask for help or for something done they are right on it. Today I had a lot of little things done around the classroom, like some sticks sawed down, two hooks put up in the cabinet, five burnt light bulbs found for a station I made called the Light bulb Lab, my banner put up and some things laminated and printed. There are just so many capable people around. The Nigerians really make this school run smoothly.

We've gotten a wonderful steward named Grace. She come three times a week and does our washing, shopping, and cooking. We share her time with another teacher. It's been so nice to come home to a full fridge.

I thought that I could possibly use public transportation while living here but it's not safe. While I took it all the time in East Africa they recommend for us to not here. Nigeria is at the critical level for crime and they were thinking about creating a higher level just for this country. I was thinking today as I was pealing off labels that I'm so unaware of the world around me. I am not even conscious of the 20 million people zipping and zooming around me. There is no noise that would remind me I'm in such a densely populated place. The sounds I hear are the banging or hammers and shouts of calling Nigerian voices with such thick accents it's hard to tell they are speaking English. That is until I go through the compound gates. The world moves fast out there.

I will share a car with a couple of other people. This will keep the cost down and it is just more fun that way. There is a couple from Tacoma that I most likely will share with. They live in the off campus housing so I'll find some refuge over there during the weekend and they will find refuge in my flat during the school day.

I've not felt trapped at all yet and it's been a week since I last went off campus. I know this wont be normal, but I have been so consumed with getting my classroom together. Tonight was the first night that I sort of felt the pangs of missing friends and family. I'm so used to having an active social life. Hopefully, I was develop one that includes off campus friends. That is key!

No comments: