Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Confirmed

My alarm began croaking at 5:30 am. (The ring tone is frogs) I hit the snooze button for half and hour. I counted up the hours of sleep on my fingers and lay wondering why I was still tired. I went through my morning routine and walked to school for my two minute commute I'm always so grateful for.

The morning bell announced the beginning of school. The Sparkle Diamonds greeted me at the door and were now busy reading or writing. I had a small group of three with me. We meet every day to practice their reading. I was happy with their progress as the books I had chosen were too easy for them. They were growing as readers. Yet, why was I so grumpy with them and short with them? I quickly called the group to a close.

It came on suddenly. The nausea and the flash of heat. I just stood there battling in my head about what road of action to take. Could I throw up in front of my kids? I decided not and told them my stomach was hurting and I needed to rush to the bathroom. Tonyee the teaching assistant was still at her morning duty but I had to get to the bathroom before it was too late. Plus, I trusted my kids to stay alone.

I made it just in time. Now, I'm home sick.

I was sleeping when I heard the front door open. I thought it must be Grace since it was too early for Mary Ann to come home for lunch. I shook off some of my grogginess and decided to walk into the kitchen to see what Grace was doing. Maybe she came down for her slippers or radio. I wanted to be ask quiet as I could so I wouldn't interrupt her. As I walked in she was filling a container with noodles. I asked her what she was doing. She said that she was getting lunch. I had told her she could eat. I never thought to clarify only on the days you are working for us. I told her but you aren't working for us today Grace your'e working for Shair. She kept repeating that I told her she could eat. She didn't seem to understand that my invitation to eat wasn't an open invitation for any time she liked. Now, I don't feel so bad about our decision.

1 comment:

the newmexikooks said...

dang. that's a story. you are nice and bold to grace. that's good.