Wednesday, December 02, 2009

In my box


The craziest thing happened today. A real surprise.

I went to the front office and the Grace, the secretary, barked at me about how I wasn't in my room when she called. I needed to pay 1000 naira to Elizabeth. She said something about a package. I looked above her head to my said I got a package and I needed to pay 1000 naira to Elizabeth because she paid it for me. I asked why I needed to pay for a package I didn't even order. To that there was no answer.

In my box was this plump package and the return address had the name... Marie Keyzers!
It came! Last March I was really sick with a urinary track infection that put me in the hospital. My friend Marie who is a nurse put together a niffty carepackage for me. It was sent in March from Lacey Washington and was actually delivered here to Lagos to my school today 10 months later.

Who would have ever thought?

She sent a book that I can't wait to read and her note in the front made me realize how well she knew me. When you are surrounded by people who don't know you or get you you forget this feeling of being known and having a history with someone. I found myself thinking, "How did she know that about me?" Then realizing, of course she knows that about me. We've shared so much of life together.

There was a candle, completely smashed, but I could tell from the pieces that it was once very beautiful. The crumbles of the candle got into everything even through the envelop and between the pages of the book. These discoveries made me giggle.

This gives me hope that the package sent by Sandra might one day make it here. But, don't send any right now because with this track record it will arrive long after I've moved on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! that is amazing! how crazy good would that be if you got my package someday. come on jesus! that would be so grand. anyway I am so glad you got the treat of this one. love you :o)

Meag Diamond said...

That's exactly what I was thinking! There's still hope! Come on Jesus! Deliver!

The Eyes said...

note to self: don't send a candle! Glad you had a little surprise. We are missing you and glad you had a good trip to Abuja.