Sunday, December 26, 2010

Another Meag Adventure

We were sitting around the empty metal containers that just moments ago were filled full of steaming shrimp dumplings and sticky rice. If you know me and my family you know this is a familiar scene of ours. We frequent Dim Sum so often we have a golden membership.

But, it was in this blissful setting that I had a horrible realization. It was Christmas eve and in two days I would be catching a flight to Mexico with my sister. We were going to join my dad, step mom, grandma, aunt and migrating whales in the sleepy town of Todos Santos.

I had been so preoccupied packing all of my crafts that I had forgotten to pack my very important passport. But, I did have a photo copy in my wallet left over from my years in Nigeria. I called the airlines to see if this was legit. It's not.

Then I tried to mentally imagine where my passport was. My desk drawer? My unpacked Tupperware bins stored behind a wall of clothes? My memory was foggy with too many moves into different houses since my return from Nigeria.

We had planned to cross the street to Target where I was to buy some eyeliner. Instead we headed home where I searched the desk, the drawers, under the bed and sadly concluded it was in a pile of documents up in Tacoma.

About an hour later my step dad Tommy and I were in his Prius on the straight and forward I-5. Two and a half hours later we pulled up to my house. I rustled through the expected hiding places and found it moments later. Shoved safely in the pocket of my new Omni Heat jacket we piled back into the car and headed South. Since we wouldn't be making it back in time for Christmas Eve service and the dinner of Cajun tots we stopped by Burger Ville for our own hamburgers and waffle fries. I was so grateful for Tommy's company. We actually had a wonderful time talking. I loved hearing about his Irish family and how he grew up as a first generation Irish. My favorite part was when he did the Irish accents of his parents.

Now, I'm sitting in the airport, waiting for our delayed flight to Todos Santos. Don't worry. I know exactly where my passport is. It's safe and close by me. Exactly where it should be.

2 comments:

The Eyes said...

oh man, close call! Glad you are off safe, having fun?

Meag Diamond said...

Yeah! Close call! I am having a wonderful time. It's been a really special trip.