Sunday, June 21, 2009

Beach trip







Andy took work off on Friday.  He didn't want the people in his office to bombard him with birthday wishes.  To celebrate another year of his life we drove to the ocean.  We took the beautiful scenic routes of Cornelius pass and talked about life overseas and mutual high school friends. 


Our first stop was at Fort Stevens. It was overgrown with decayed rust and weeds.  The sparrows had taken control of any flat surface and corner for their eclectic mud nests.  We wandered around taking pictures and playing with his Nikon.  

Next we drove south down coastal high way to Seaside.  Over the years it's changed so much but at different intersections I could make out the skeleton of memories from high school. The beach wasn't very inviting so we walked up and down the rustic beach homes.  As we did I made mental notes on what features I liked.  The welcoming front entrance, the big open windows, the smaller homes that could be defined as a cottage.  




Our third stop was to Cannon beach.  Where we also walked in neighborhoods around the beach.  We stopped for some beer at the pub and got a sampler so I could taste all the different kinds.  I would take a dainty sip and after each one was reaffirmed that I don't like beer. 

  

Andy enjoyed the time and it was good for him to get out of the office for the day.  Everyone needs an escape especially on their birthday.  

2 comments:

The Eyes said...

good memories! happy you get to revisit such a great home. have fun showing Mike!! (Thanks for tasting that sampler for me:)

Meag Diamond said...

You would have loved that sampler! Yuck! Blah. :) I guess it's an acquired taste. Mike comes today and I can't wait to show him my favorite places! I wish you guys were here because we are getting together at Owen beach tomorrow.