Friday, March 26, 2010





Today after school Tiffany arranged for an artist named Abun to come to the flat and lay out her fabrics, string art, batiks and cards. This actually is the third time we have hosted her and her masterpieces. I sat back and watched as she brought each fabric out of her bag and draped them across the back of the couches. I found one that I loved and could picture it as curtains against a green avocado painted wall.

Previously, I had ordered some fabric cards of butterflies and turtles so she brought those with her as well. 5o in total.

I love being so connected to the things I buy. I know the story behind them, who's hands crafted them and the eight children that will be fed by the money that bought them. I have really enjoyed this aspect of Nigeria. There are many famous and every day artists that travel up and down the beach selling their one of a kind pieces. It has been wonderful for me to learn this technique of batik and to see the struggle of the artist here as they make long trips balancing heavy bags of fabric on their heads. And to see their success as one expat taking an interest in them can change their status and ease their daily worries.

3 comments:

the newmexikooks said...

Awesome. I would go nuts with all of that exquisite merchadise. Especially for such awonderful cause. Love what you chose.

Meag Diamond said...

Thanks Rox. I could pick some out for you. What colors would you like?

the newmexikooks said...

Hey, I just noticed your comment. Sure, let me get back to you on this. That would be fun!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HONEY!!!