Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Visitors

We have some guests at our school this week. Very significant guest. One is a principal at a Tacoma high school and the other is the Deputy Superintendent for Tacoma Public Schools. They have come to see AISL in an attempt to strength our sisterhood connection. 45 years ago Tacoma School District started AISL at one point most of the overseas hires were from Tacoma. Gradually, the school has diversified bringing on board a Texas school district and more international hires.

On Monday we met and mingled over fried foods and platters of hummus. Even this brief interaction was beneficial as within a five minute conversation one of them asked me where I taught before and where I was returning. I told him that I was interested in teaching at Geiger elementary as they were turning into a Montessori school. He told me to email him and that he would work on this. I left this gathering extremely encouraged as my Curriculum coordinator has already emailed the principal at Geiger twice, and the High school principal has emailed her for me as well and even called her. I was feeling so supported and could see a bigger picture behind these details and conversations. The bigger picture of being dedicated to a school for a long time as it grows, changes and progresses. The bigger picture of finding a school where I live that is committed to a style of instruction I can invest in and be committed to. A principal that has vision and holds high standards.

I was thrilled today to get an email from the principal of Geiger! Progress!

Tomorrow we are having dinner with this group of people visiting from Tacoma and the timing couldn't be more perfect. It's great trusting and seeing doors of opportunity open.

2 comments: