Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Every day's an adventure!

I've started to pick up on a slight Australian accent and would be greeting you with the question "How is it doing?" They ask that instead of "How's it going?" and also ending a lot of sentences with the word hey and looping the end so everything is said in a manner that seems to be hanging in the air dancing above our heads, unsettled. There are tons of little differences like that. For instance on the stove top the dial for heat is opposite. The high is to the left instead of the to right and they have all sort of different names for things. Here a comforter or blanket is called a duna. Right now I can't think of any others but they attack me sporatically all day long.

Today was the first day without rain since we arrived a little over a week ago. The Mason family jokes that it is because this huge Blues Festival is over and finished, now the sun can come back out. I guess it has rained for 88 years straight during Easter here. That is always when they have the Blues Fest and it leaves hundreds devoted groupies caked in mud and looking as happy as a soaking wet cat.

Sometimes I really look forward to rainy days because I feel that it gives me permission to kick up my feet, dig into the couch cushions and dive into the dream world of a good book. When it is sunny I feel beckoned to come and play and engage in the welcoming weather.

I'm just about to finish my busiest day yet. I helped the Mason clan get ready for their departure to Tasmania by hanging up laundry, donating a random suitcase, and in general staying away from the mad bustle of a rush. Simon and I walked the five minutes into Banglow downtown to meet up with some of his old college mates, twins actually, who were in town because of the Blues Festival. It was a brief catchup before we had to return home for lunch with a married couple called Liz and Hans. They brought over sandwich makings and to end our time together we played two rounds of this fantastically fun game called Killer Bunnies. Then they took Simon off to his new temporary home of a friends garage while he continues the search for a more permanent home. I didn't have enough time to get too sad before Bev came home to make dinner of buttered chicken, which is like a curry sauce and totally inappropriately unsuited for the name. We had a wonderful conversation while balancing our chopsticks. It was quite a change after having a flamboyant dinner table where the conversation is juggled and bouncing unpredictably to one where the conversation is direct and uninterrupted. It is nice to not have had to move to another house but to be able to stay here while the Masons are away, but it is a little stretching having to get used to a new persons habits and rituals while I was just adjusting to the Masons. I will be glad when Simon and I settle down for a more routine life.

Today something exciting yet devastating happened. I have been using my electronic toothbrush and it needed to be recharged. I plugged it into my adapter and saw the little green light blinking informing me it was getting power. After breakfast of bao and dumplings that Phoebe brings home from work I went to check my email and noticed something wasn't quite right with the toothbrush. I went to turn it around to see what was happening and it popped and sparked making me scream. The whole family came running to see what was wrong. Then the charger began to smoke like crazy and sizzle menacing. Someone unplugged it and it began to fill the room with a metallic stench and smoke. It definitely had met its end. We opened wide the widow, blasted the fan and shut the door to let the smoke escape. The reason this happened was that I had forgotten there was a difference in voltage. While I had used my adapter I forgot to use the converter! So, goodbye Sonicare. I'm very sad about this because it has keep me faithfully cavity free. There is always some drama here.

At first I was feeling really welcomed by the people here and then I began to get really overwhelmed with it all. There are a lot of adjustments big and small that I've had to do. One is being part of a big family. Everyone is demanding attention here and it makes me want to shrink back and become one with the wall paper. Everyone is really looking forward to getting to know me better and I'm excited to have some one on ones with people because I tend to be overwhelmed with small group functions where the only person I know is Simon and I want to cling to him like glad wrap to a bowl. One thing I'm finding is that Maria and Phil are so busy, often all three of the kids here will be trying to talk to them at the same time and figure out their mini dramas. It makes a flexible attitude and outlook absolutely key to survival.

We made another big decision. We were looking at possibilities for me to live. Simon thought it would be good for me to get into one of the girls homes since no official opening in a home has developed. I want to spend time with the girls in the church and get to know them but I'm not too keen on spending time on a random couch in a house full of strangers. Nice strangers, but still strangers. I feel it is really important for me to have my own space where I can retreat to if needed. Maria agreed and so we set it up for me to stay here in their home while they are on vacation and further extended if I need to. This was a relief to me at the moment. Si moved into Brads garage today. I am looking forward to the separation but I was really sad saying goodbye to him. I cried as we parted. Since we have spent 5 and half months together every day with only a 2 and a half week break in the beginning this will be an adjustment for me.

No comments: