Monday, April 30, 2007

Making positive progress

The Masons were out of town for two weeks and the home was so quite and lonely, now that the Masons are back my life is really active. Each day I go into Byron with them and help them in the office. I like being there because all day people come in and out. People are always so full of joy and life that it is a really healthy environment to be in. Sometimes there is no work so I lay on the cushions and read a good book. I just finished The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald. Simon has a continual book list for me and I have like six books waiting on the docket right now. I just started one called Affluenza about when too much is never enough.

I went in the Indian ocean yesterday before church. The two younger Masons Toby and Phoebe and I packed the surf board and boogie board into the back of the wagon and set off to enjoy the sunny, hot day. The beach was crowded with buff bodies decked in skimpy bikinis and tans. I have to admit I felt like a old prude woman in my one piece Nike race suit. I really had to build up my courage to get into the water because with each person that walks by there are fifty pairs of hungry eyes following them. I don't like this and I almost didn't go in. I'm not ashamed of my body but I just felt pressure to be hip by wearing a bikini which I've never liked. However, I did go in and I even spent some time on a board! It felt great to be out there in the waves and float so carelessly on the board. I've not done this since I was very young. I am looking forward to learning and expect to become fluid eventually. One of the girls I'm going to be living with is a surf instructor. She was talking about getting a group together on Sunday mornings.

I'm currently living in the Masons garage. I love my private space here and have gotten to dig into my chest and bust out all of my belongings. It is wonderful that everything I own can fit into one small room. But, I'll only be here for two more weeks because on Saturday my friend Christy picked me up and we caravaned with another car to a nearby neighborhood. Me and the four other girls were going to check a rental house that just became available and because of Christy's connections we got the inside scoop before it went onto the market. The owners showed us around the three story mansion ducking us in and out of rooms. Some of the great features of this house is it comes complete with a beautiful pool extending from the side of the second story. I'm excited to use this to work out in. The opposite side of that story has a veggie garden freshly manured! After a while of touring we decided that we would love to rent it and told them we were committed. Since it was through friends we don't have to apply or have the normal 100 point system that it takes to get a place here. The location is close to the main part of Byron and I can easily ride my bike there on the convenient bike trails. It is also only a couple of minutes away from the beach. You can't see the beach but we can hear it.

Also on Saturday night we celebrated my birthday with the family. We picked up Simon, Pete and his girlfriend Phoebe. Bev who is like part of the family came as well. There was a delicious banquet of Thai complete with Pad Thai and Lamb with Peanut sauce. I was really touched by their card that wholehearted welcome me into the family and encouraged me that I was a true gem suiting my name.

Simon worked today at the bookstore. It isn't a very nice book store aesthetically but I guess the owner is really helpful and he has been relying on Simon for a lot of wisdom is what books to order and stock. I think that Simon could easily become manager of this job since he is so well read. He will start Uni around August when the new term begins. He is looking forward to this and will most likely continue to work while he does. Here he actually gets paid to go to school. He will get 200 dollars every two weeks. Crazy, but cool for us!

I called a person about a nanny job today that was advertised in the newspaper. All I know is that it is for a 4 1/2 year old and it will start in Mid May and end in July which will be good for now. She is going to call me tomorrow morning but I have such good qualifications that it is very rare that it won't work out.

We are thinking about flying down to Sydney to buy a car. There are just no reasonable cars here. Byron truly is in the country. Did you know they don't even have stop lights? I didn't realize that until yesterday. It is very country and I love it. But, this means if you want to shop for anything reasonable you need to travel like 45 minutes away. There is a VW van we have our eyes on and I actually need to get Simon to call them since it is long distance.

Kiss someone we both love hello for me.

Love you heaps!
Meag

No comments: