Wednesday, April 04, 2007




Pemba is a stunning place. These pictures are taken from the local beach located right outside the Iris gates. Since didn't often have running water and had to collect it from the lower well I often would take my daily dip into the Indian Ocean for a cleaning off and refreshing cool down.






My house shared a compound with over 100 orphans. Each of these children have an amazing story of being saved and redeemed by Heidi Baker. Many were dying in the dumps of Maputu and were taken to live with the Bakers where they could get three meals a day and all of the love they needed for a healthy life. Many of the children where really rough when they first came. They would bite, kick, and run way from the home. Numerous times Heidi got scabies from holding these children who would hit her in return. She would just run and chase them and love on them until they were healed.




This is the women preparing either lunch or dinner. We would have a meal called matapa and it was like a spinach. They would sit stool that were close to the ground and would shave tons of coconut skin to flavor it. It was served on a heaping pile of rice. After breakfast was served immediately the preparation for lunch began. We would be eating breakfast to the thumping of millet. They worked very hard to feed the 130 students, the 100 pastors, and the 100 orphans. Needless to say this job was all consuming.












This is Alberto. He was one of my favorite children at the children's home. I was drawn to his quiet personality. Our joke was calling each other pastors. I'm not actually sure why he thought this was so funny but it made him laugh which in turn made me laugh. I called him my professor since he taught me some Portuguese and this is how we first became friends. In this picture he has a car that he had made with left over rubbish. There were multitudes of other things he had made as well. As gifts I would give him empty vitamin bottles as building material. He would come and sit by me during teaching and my favorite times where when he would fall asleep leaning on my lap. I didn't even mind the drool that would cover my skirts afterwards because of the trust he was putting in me.


































No comments: