Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The latest

This weekend I saw a great movie called Bridal Wars. I loved it! It was funny, had great dialogue and the two main characters were different from each other but the film presented both of their strengths and weaknesses well. The Nigerians loved it and were squealing with delight. They would throw their hands and feet up while laughing.

I also got to work in my friends garden. I had two little helpers age 5 and 8. They live in the boys quarters and their dad works for someone who lives in the compound. It was tough work and we all three got a long so well. We turned dirt, weeded the scattered weeds, outlined one of the garden plots with broken white plate, and planted and transplanted rocket, lettuce, garlic, radish, and bok choy. I was sweating like a cold coke on a hot day. I also planted little pots of these vegetables and they are now decorating my patio. I can't wait for our own fresh veggies! Lettuce is around 10 dollars a head here so it will be nice to have our own.

I lead a scavenger hunt on Sunday. It was organized by my friend Stacey for her son Kaelan who is in my class. It's always a hoot to see your children outside of the classroom. Some go shy and get cold feet. Others will wave and dance at you from a distance but ignore you when you are face to face. Others love you and aren't even aware that the setting is different or that you are wearing shorts and flip flops. It makes me wonder what goes on in their heads and how they process this familiar face is a very different setting. The scavenger hunt was a blast. We had to ring doorbells and bribe them for different items. It was very creativly done.

I'm trying to decide where to go for my spring break. I'm torn because I was going to go with a group of my flatmate, and a couple, to Turkey. But, I'm not sure if I want to. I like their company but I'm not sure if every night will be spent getting drunk or high. And I had mentioned that maybe Mark would be coming along with us and so now Mary Ann has invited her boyfriend and he is thinking about coming. Mark has not returned however and so I would become the odd duck out with two couples. If Mark did return I still wouldn't invite him because it would be too couply.

I got to help with my first professional development class. It was about guided reading. I loved teaching it and it was amazing because Dee Dee and Paiga were attending. They have had to realize that this is the direction the school is going and that I am one of the teachers they are using as a model! That night Paiga called and told me she needed my help and so we talked through her questions and she said that she would want to see me in action. Amazing! The tables have turned and time and talent has proven the truth. Cool huh? I'm excited to help her too because it's really a more individualized style of teaching.

No comments: