Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Long awaited day

Tomorrow is the long awaited day! As my flatmate said, we only have 3 and a half hours of school left before our Spring Break begins. Yipppppeeeee! I've never been so ready in my life.

As you know I had made plans to travel around Turkey with some of my co-workers and their other halves. We were going to barter in bazaars, soak in Turkish bathhouses, and ferry to Greece for ten days. But... as we know things can change.

Two weeks ago we were sitting around our kitchen table planning our trip to Turkey when Mary Ann told me that Linda's mom had died and she was flying out of Lagos. I grabbed my phone to see a missed call from her and quickly called her back. She confirmed this news and said that she would be leaving the next morning with her husband Renzo. The whole family, two sisters from USA, one from Italy and her brother would be gathering in the Philippines for the funeral and logistics.

She returned yesterday to school and I went to her classroom to see how she was doing. She told me the details of her time at home and how homesick and lonely it made her feel now. The last time she was home in the Philippines was in 2002. It was difficult to leave a country that had order, friendly service and people who didn't greedily expect tips. Most of all she missed her family. Renzo returned to Eastern Nigeria for work so her house was empty and hallow as well.

She filled me in on the details of her trip but also told me that she was leaving for Italy on Thursday because her parent-in-laws caretaker quit. She needs to hire a replacement. My heart just broke as she told me this. Here she was already lonely and now she would have to go and tackle another situation and this time all by herself as Renzo can't take more time off from work.

So, I offered to go with her. I've changed my ticket to Turkey and instead am going to Italy tomorrow to the little providence of Biella. I'm so excited to see this place with it's mountains, local commune and fresh air! I'm also looking forward to spending some time with Linda as she had her birthday when she was in the Philippines and I was trying to think of the perfect birthday gift for her. I knew it had to be special. Now, I've found the perfect gift and will enjoy it just as much as she does.

2 comments:

The Eyes said...

whoa!!! that's big news and change. I hope all is safe in those Italian mountains given the recent quake etc but I know you will have a great time. I love that you just made the change just like that. Be blessed and rested as you can!

Anonymous said...

sweetness meag. Italy sounds restful and refreshing. drink some good red wine and then write about it so I can experience it with you :o)