Sunday, April 19, 2009

Spring in Biella

A Italiann tradition of huge chocolate Easter eggs. Each contains a surprise.

Massive amounts of chocolate

We visited a neighbors farm where we explored his wine cellar. I got to taste and enjoy the fruits of his labor.

The superhero guardian of wine

Thursday was the day of departure. I joined 11 other in our school van for our 4:30 departure. All of our flights left around the same time 9:20, 9:30, 9:40, but all were heading to different parts of the world, Denver, Gambia, Turkey, Italy. We made bets on the time we would arrive to the airport. Considering the roads were like molasses I guessed 8:00. And right as 8:00 rolled around on the clock we pulled into the airport. But this is a bet I wish I hadn't won because it means the drive that normally takes 45 minutes took 3 1/2 hours. I quickly waved my goodbyes and went to find my Alitalia flight counter. As I approached I noticed there was only a very short line. And as I stood there I noticed some strange things. The electronic board announced the counter was closed, the line was more like a clump of people none looking too urgent and a few who were frantic, also they were wrapping up the power chord line. I quickly found out that the counter was closed and that I was late, I would have to come back tomorrow. TOMORROW! Oh no! Not tomorrow! I had just sat in mad traffic to get there, all of my colleagues had boarded their perspective flights, and this was my damn holiday. I had a wide rang of emotions. First I cussed, not at anyone but just in plain frustration and anger. Cursing this airline and the logic of Nigerians. Then I prayed for favor and asking for wisdom and insight on the meaning of this delay as I believe all things happen for a reason. Then I got irritated as they shuffled us back and forth from office to different office just to get rid of us. I was waiting with about 10 others who were in the same predicament. One Italian had the number of the owner of Alitalia and so he got his ticket and seat. I watched as the Nigerians pleaded and cursed and bribed the Alitalia workers to no avail. I waited in line to rebook my ticket for the next day only after paying the 100 dollars to change the ticket. The Nigerian lady next to me tisked her tongue and whispered desperately "Oh Jesus!" As she didn't have that 100 dollars to change her ticket. While I saw the others on the flight the next day I didn't' see her. What a difficult situation, spending so much money on the ticket only to not have the extra 100 dollars to rebook another.

At one point the exhaustion of the whole ordeal got to me and I started to cry. The workers told me not to cry and I told them why not as I had no way of getting back to my flat in Victoria Island, I had an elderly friend on the flight who needed my company and a deep desperation to get away from Nigeria. But, the tears didn't last long as I called my friend Gbenga to see if he was near by. He had ridden with us to the airport as he lived really close. I didn't' have the drivers number but I thought maybe Gbenga was still with him. After telling him what happened without hesitating he said that he would be on his way. This loyalty made my tears dry as I realized I wasn't alone in this journey after all and while my contact wasn't with a high up airline official I too had my own contacts to make life here easier.

That night also my friend Mike came and spent the night to keep me company as it seemed the whole campus was empty. The next day Tunde took me to the airport at 2:30 so we could be there when the Alitalia gate opened at 3:00. While this meant a long wait at the airport for my 9:30 flight I wasn't going to miss this flight. Mike and our friend Segun kept me company for those entire 6 hours before I went through customs. Their company made the time go quickly.

I flew into Rome and then took a short 1 hour flight to Torino. There Linda had arranged for a taxi driver to pick me up and take me to Frangizo Paroni. When we pulled out of the parking garage I was greeted by two cherry blossom trees in full bloom! I let out an audible gasp and even though the driver didn't understand English I went off on how beautiful they were and how I hadn't expected the signs of spring. The drive was full of these signs and every corner and turn took my breath away. This was an amazing surprise and gift because spring is my favorite season and now I got to enjoy the familiar smells and sights but in a completely different part of the world.



The tight road leading to Linda's village

Wine Cellar Doors

Flowers live everywhere here

Linda lives in small village tucked away into the rolling hillside which is at the foot of a string of majestic mountains. The mountains were still sprinkled with snow but three weeks ago they were still skiing. They collect their water from a ever running tap that is a fresh source of mountain water. As you drive through their tight streets you see small midget doors that lead to personal wine cellars. Their gardens face out into the wander landscape of changing trees and nestled houses. As I went on a walk I felt the sudden urge to run and see as much as I could. I had giddiness and anticipation as I approached a hillside. What could be on the other side. And what I saw made me freeze and stare and cry with joy. It was simply beautiful!
Dino watching his horse eating in the field.

Cuteness

Lunch date with Enrico



The area we ate lunch at

Each of my days in Italy were different. I celebrated Easter at a Catholic Mass spoken in Italian, ate freshly made boar salami caught by Paolo (Linda's brother-in-law), explored the little villages and countryside by foot and camera, window shopped in the city of Biella, went on a date with my Italian friend Enrico, took a train to Milan and enjoyed pizzerias with Linda.




I was surprised with how few people spoke English. When walking through Milan I targeted the younger generation to ask questions, but found even a very small percentage of them spoke the language. This fact made me a little anxious to travel to Milan by myself but then you just have to get over it and also be willing to laugh at yourself. On this trip I bought two one way tickets instead of one two way ticket and I used the men's restroom instead of the ladies. Small prices to pay for a grand adventure.


Walking through Biella I loved seeing the older people shuffling through town with their head scarfs and missing teeth. I loved seeing them hunched over while driving a small ancient green car or turning their field soil in their skirts and panty hose. The youth are distinct as they dress in black and have mohawks and tight skinny pants. In Biella there is little diversity even in style as all of the old people looked the same and the youth did as well. Milan was different as I saw every culture there and more people spoke English. When arriving I spent the day walking up and down streets, looking at the bread displays or chocolate layers.







When I was returned from Milan on the train I sat next to an older man who spoke English and he told me I should get an award for having Biella be the first place in Italy that I've visited. And after going to Milan for the day I would have it no other way. The country side was exactly what I needed not another bustling city with sky scrapers that block the sun. So, this summer when I return for a longer visit I still want to see Naples and Rome and Tuscany but mostly just to say that I've been there. Really my heart is in the rolling hills spotted with sheep and hay. I look forward to this summer as I'll to visit more nearby villages.


Milan



1 comment:

The Eyes said...

whoa, beautiful! Sorry it was such a fiasco to get there but you are right, most places in the world have these dilemmas. you are experiencing the fullness of life! Hope you had a great Bday Meag, miss and love you!