Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie


I've been introduced to a new author since living in Nigeria. Since then I've gobbled up all of her writing and have her new one on the docket for my next read. She depicts the life of Nigeria with vividness and accuracy. Months after I finish the book she has me wondering about the characters while I drive through the city and villages.

I listened to her talk about the danger of a single story today on TED talks.

http://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_adichie_the_danger_of_a_single_story.html

It aligned perfectly to what I blogged about earlier last week. I like how she address the stories we heard about Africa from a Western view and she continues on to challenge us to tell the other stories as well. Those stories of the successful heart surgery in a Lagos hospital, or of the female Lawyer fighting the law that says a woman must need to the consent of a man before renewing her visa. There is wonderful people and events here in Nigeria. And it struck my heart that as I get ready to leave I need to have a balanced collection of stories. I have the opportunity when returning home to change the stereotypes of Nigeria. You can make this your personal challenge as well. To find balance in the stories we tell and listen to. No more one sided reports. Get a new perspective.

No comments: