Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Gifts

I'm home alone. I've not been alone for almost three weeks, except for the time I sleep and that one time I drove to the Debords for a short quick and sweet visit. It's been great to be surrounded. Surrounded by such a steady and overwhelming love, such yummy foods, and such deep insightful conservators and conversations.

Every time I come home to the Northwest I'm reminded of my richness. The choices I have to eat healthy. My moms fridge is always full of fresh pressed juice, sushi is a quick drive away and is only 1.00 per striped plate. I have choices of who to spend time with. Jeremy while mixing, spreading and covering a pizza taught Mike about the beauty and intricacy of wood. Mardie and I stuffed cotton diapers while cooing at Jasmine. Katy and I snapped and captured the beauty and curiosity of a the Taylor family in drizzly downtown Tacoma. James and Katy learned Yoruaba words and rifled away question after question. Kathy and Bill grilled an amazing steak and salad for a brunch. Mike and I cozied in the McBee cottage on a blustery rain slanting day at Cannon Beach. Cards and dominoes at one point scattered our kitchen table after we ventured for a wander through Mikes first snow.

All of this richness just confirms my choice to return to the Northwest after my 2 year contract ends in early June. I'm ready to find a small living place where I can paint the walls maybe avocado green and egg shell blue perfect for hanging my African baskets and pictures on. I'm ready to teach at a school that is diverse and aligns with my teaching philosophy of inquiry and exploration. I'm giddy about getting more snotty kisses from Nora and teaching her some more sign language. I'm excited to watch Jasmine grow more hair and see her newest stunts. I'm anticipating brainstorming and dreaming with Katy about the possibilities of our photography.

But, in the mean time I'm going to enjoy the bounty of Nigeria. I'm going to drink deep of the car exhaust and savor the harmony of demanding horns and sirens. I'm going to pause and appreciate the cutest 21 Sparkle Diamonds. And when those five months are over I will zip my bags and shoulder them knowing these two years of dedication were full of purpose. I'm going to confidently leave a changed person who has rubbed noses with danger, African culture and bright colorful friendships.

Here are some of the pictures from the holidays.

Nora Jean Jumping Bean

Mardie and Jeremy team up on the stubborn pizza.

Peaceful Jasmine

Pizza prep

Christmas Day stocking discoveries

Enjoying Whip It at the Bagdad theater on Hawthorne.

Nachos while watching the Ducks in the Rose Bowl.

Mike bundling me in his jacket in freezing Seattle.

Lovely Katy


Experience Music Project

Found him!

Space Needle view from the bottom.

Lunch at the Crab Pot.
Bundled

Last bit of shrimp

Cannon Beach view of Haystack rock from Moe's.

We love fresh air!

Bad to the bone in my new boots.

3 comments:

The Eyes said...

beautiful, beautiful!

the newmexikooks said...

was that pizza from whole foods? if so, i've had the same exact experience. it sucks!!! didn't used to be that way. the dough used to be partially cooked and tastey, but evil corporate changed it. it makes me mad. no more friday night pizzas. I protest. i wrote them lots of notes, but still they go with the cheap dough. it's been over a year and half and I'm still upset. everyone should protest.
unless ofcourse ya'll made your own dough, then nevermind.

Meag Diamond said...

HA! Rox, I have no idea what you are talking about. However, you do make me laugh. It wasn't a pizza from Whole Foods. It was from a pizza restaurant and it was sooooo good. I would like to enjoy a piece right now. Sorry about them switching that recipe on you. How dare they!