Friday, October 16, 2009

Belly buttons


Today after school Joel came up to me and said, "Ms. Diamond, I need your help." He continued to tell me that he needed my help in finding his drinking container that was black metal and had fluffy at the top, but not like puffy fluffy thing.

We quickly made a plan to go and look in the lost and found and out by the field. While walking to those places with his tennis racket in one hand, his lunch box looped around his arm and his plastic waterbottle with the dredges of orange juice tucked under the other arm, he told me that the water bottle was very special and not like the one under his arm. He got it when his dad returned. I asked him if it was recently then because his dad had just returned from a trip. He answered, "It was sort of a long time ago but not too long ago. But, not very recently." Basically, he had no clue except that it was special. And I remembered kids concept of time isn't like grown ups. While at the field and the trashcan he sat down in defeat. We planned to look again Monday.

While he was packing up he said out of the blue, " You know, I'm not an ordinary boy."After a pause he continued, "Because, I don't like to show my bellybutton. Most boys like to show their bellybutton." "When do they show their bellybuttons?" I wondered out loud and while silently agreeing. Joel is not an ordinary boy, but he sure does make me smile.

2 comments:

the newmexikooks said...

i miss your kid stories and how we crack up at the same kooky stuff!

Meag Diamond said...

I do too! I miss hearing all of your different voice impressions. I miss sharing them with someone who laughs as hard as I do about them. I'll write more of them so we can laugh together on the kooky stuff.