Sunday, November 01, 2009

Fullness

I've just had another great weekend. My friend Queen Lizzy spent the night on Friday. She and my friend Segun went to a new club that a pre-K teacher's boyfriend owns. It just opened last weekend. It had these great sofas that reminded me of beds. We split a jug of juice. :) I enjoy spending time with her because she is honest and truthful and full of love. That night Segun slept on the couch, Queeny shared my bed and Matthew slept in the car. This was something that made me irritated. Segun fully knowing that he couldn't go home that late put me in a real predicament. I told him that maybe Matthew could take him closer to the mainland on his way home. And that is how I found out that Matthew couldn't go home that night. Such responsibility on my shoulders of finding out who is going to sleep where. If I had my own apartment it wouldn't be an issue. Sharing with another person makes this a bit difficult. That night I was very frustrated but Queeny's good company made me feel better and she advised me to not let things get to me.

The next morning was environmental day which is at the end of each month. So, we slept in and than Matthew took us to a local market about 30 minutes away. It's a busy market with tons of activity. Our goal was to find seeds, black ink, and fabric. I was specifically looking for fabric to use on these chairs I'm going to have made. Queen took all my money and did the bargaining for me. I loved it this way because than I didn't have to worry about counting out money. And than it felt like someone else was treating me to all of those delicious fabrics and not myself. I found four fabrics that I loved and spent some time today looking at clothes online for ideas.







Saturday night to celebrate Halloween two of my colleagues had a group of us over for Costco hotdogs imported from the states. We loaded the dogs with garlic, chili and onions. We watched the Simpson Tree of Horrors and Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin on their huge screen tv. They have a projector and they had a special African frame built for it. We ended by watching Baseketball which is a gross and pointless movie which I didn't enjoy.

Then this afternoon my friend Sharon who is the high school principal came over and I taught her how to do batik. I finished two different pieces. One I loved until I did the last stage so I'll redo the idea with a couple of different twists. The other turned out surprisingly great, better than I thought. Both are of trees. I actually was inspired to do these pieces when I was reading a Tomie de Paola book with Joel. I loved the way Tomie did his hills and so I interrupted Joel and told him that I needed to sketch an idea for an art piece quickly. Then I showed the class and tomorrow I'll bring in the my art to show them how powerful sharing ideas is.




After we did art there was a birthday party by the pool for one of our new teachers and her two year old son. She and her husband fired up the bbq and had great meat in a sweet marinade. It was a big party with a great mixture of kids and adults. I had a good time catching up with some of the teachers I don't see often and grubbing on the snicker doodles.

I've made up my mind about not staying a third year in Nigeria. I was talking with my dad on the phone the other day and telling him some of the stuff I was going through. Every day stuff and than some not every day stuff. And he suggested I come home. He said that I had been on an adventure and had changed so much and become such a great person from this experience but a person can only take so much. I agreed with him. And asked him to remind me of this when I start to question again. He said that he certainly would. I'm looking forward to coming back to Tacoma and living a less stressful life. I will miss Nigeria however, it might not be the end if things continue with Mike and me. Mike and I've talked about it a lot and he supports me in what ever I decide but he thinks a third year would be great for me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yipppeee! Lets talk soon. Want to hear this news directly from you! Your art is amazing...can't wait for you to teach me! Your photography is really coming along as well. Lets talk soon! Love you

Meag Diamond said...

You always make me smile Katy. Your words are like little spoonfuls of honey and you know how much I LOVE honey!

Timothy Isaacson said...

love the treeeees!!!! -abby