Friday, October 20, 2006

Valhalla pop in

Today I had a great surprise hidden up my sleeve. Earlier I had called to find out when the third graders eat lunch at Valhalla. I wanted to surprise my students at their lunch tables. When 1:00 rolled around there I was and there they were. Like a Where's Waldo book they quickly found me and ran to me like little programmed robots returning to the motherboard.

I wish I could describe the joy their faces held and how they were all interrupting each other to tell Ms. Diamond that they brought their hamster to school yesterday, or that they couldn't bring their birds to school any more, or that now they had a remote control car and truck. They all wanted to show me their latest tricks. Kiana did a million cartwheel splits, Steven and Gavin raced to the yellow fire-hydrant, Damanpreet dominated in the four square court.

They begged me to come into their classrooms and excitedly called me their new teachers name on accident. They all were doing so well and seemed so happy. It was hard to say goodbye especially with Aaliyah and Megan holding me in a death lock. I had a great time seeing these precious children that poured so much life into my heart. Their estatic greeting, their popcorn questions about Africa, and their pleas to stay or at least visit each of them at their individual homes deeply touched my heart. This was one of the most rewarding moments in my teaching career.

No comments: